-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

In the Bleak Midwinter

Since I only get to see my garden in the light on weekends now that the days are so short, I venture out each Saturday to see what's been going on out there.  On this particular Saturday, everything was frozen having been ravaged by our cold snap.  I wonder if the banana's pseudo stems will survive or if these will have to start again from the roots this spring?  So sad to see them looking like this.
 
 Rhododendron foliage does this when it's cold outside.  I was going to tell you the reason but when I searched the internet to find the it, I found instead that there are several theories.  If you're interested in reading more, click here.

Dichroa febrifuga or Blue Evergreen Hydrangea isn't looking like it'll be evergreen this year.  Hardy to 20-25 degrees, it'll be lucky to be alive.  Oh well, plant shopping is lots of fun, right?
  Big leafed rhododendron doing the "I'm cold" leaf curl dance.  R. Sinogrande to the left and not visible didn't curl it's leaves, maybe because it's in a really warm spot next to the house.  Isn't the gold  of the bamboo cheerful with the sun shining on it?

The persimmons, all three of them,  are now orange and looking lovely against the evergreen foliage behind them.  Some year, this tree may surprise us and put on a big show.
 
 
The fish do not seem amused in the least that their pond is half frozen over. Usually they huddle in the deepest part of the pond in cold weather to take advantage of the warmest water there.  Maybe the sun warmed the top part of the water a little so they're congregating there.  We'll all be happy to see our normal 40 degree days return!


This water bowl appears to be frozen solid.  The dome of ice is interesting but we've had enough of this silly cold business!

I hope you and your garden are doing well.  By the time this post appears, our temperatures should have warmed up considerably.  Spring is only three months away!

18 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that it will have warmed up considerably as we read this. And yes that bamboo does look good doesn't it? Almost radiating light itself. Hopefully the cold spell there hasn't been long enough to cut back the basjoos to the ground, cross fingers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we'll see what the rest of the winter brings for the basjoos. It's warmed to the mid to upper thirties with rain but they keep proimising 40's.

      Delete
  2. I have most definitely had enough of this silly cold business! I'm very curious to see how your bananas do in the spring, since I'm planning to put some hardy bananas in the new front beds. Is that Musa basjoo in your garden? My R. sinogrande does not like this cold at all, its leaves are all curled up like the ones in your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, too much cold, not enough snow (you know the you-don't-have-to-go-to-work kind of snow.) It is a nice big clump of Musa basjoo. Some years the pseudostems remain and they start growing from the ends; other years they die to the ground and although they regrow quickly, they don't achieve the same height as they do in years when they weren't cut back.

      Delete
  3. This has gone on way too long. We are still too close to that freezing mark each night. So far so good for Bismarckia nobilis though this winter might be a real tester for them, I hope they are established well enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Enough of this frigid air from the north!

      Delete
  4. Brrr…I've been doing the I'm cold dance too. Your bamboo is beautiful in the light. I hope that all your plant darlings survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been even colder for you! Thanks for the well wishes for the plant darlings but losing a few every now and then is a way of editing the collection and giving me an excuse to buy more plants! Hope you are keeping warm!

      Delete
  5. Your banana is still a little bit green. Ours is a toasty tan. The stalks made it through last year but we'll see this year. So far, we haven't seen any definite casualties although the Melianthus is probably a goner. The Feijoa is doing okay. But I do like the upside of the casualties - more plant shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that all of the sad looking Melianthus will at least come back from their roots! I'm happy for any reason to go plant shopping!

      Delete
  6. "we've had enough of this silly cold business!"...indeed! This morning got down to 25.6, this needs to end! We might end up with freezing rain today if the temps don't rise before the rain starts falling. Oh to have day and night above freezing, what a concept, I can't wait!

    Sorry, got off on a tangent there. The light in the bamboo is indeed lovely, and the bamboo leaves in the ice dome look pretty cool too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 35 at my house this morning but 26 at work. I think I live in a sweet spot microclimate-wise. However, when it was 20 everywhere, it was 20 at my place as well. Aloe polyphylla and the hardyish agaves are still on the back porch shielded from the rain but not a whole lot from the cold temps. The soil is bone dry so perhaps they'll make it through. This will sure be a test for them. Any bets on the phormiums?

      Delete
  7. Best wishes for a warmer week to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're back to 40 degree rain. my least favorite weather. But I'm glad the freezing cold is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get a single flake of snow in Tacoma during the transition (always hoping for a late start!) If we could somehow work out having 40's an 50's and sun that would be pretty swell!

      Delete
  9. Low temperatures are sad but I love ice. I love even more plants so it is still sad to see those bananas, I hope the stem survives. Those rhododendron leaves are funny, I didn't know they did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is beauty in the ice but the tender plants don't seem to appreciate it as much as you and I do.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.