-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

It was a Dark and Stormy Day

 
Even though it was a very wet day on Sunday, we couldn't stay inside like sane people but had to go out and dig up some bamboo and cut back what was left.  Didn't get a truly before picture but think of the bamboo  all being as tall as those stray tall pieces near the blue evergreen.   Things are so easy to dig up right now!   

Why do this chore on such a day?  Well, because something was arriving today that demanded it.  What could it be?  You may have guessed that it's a new refrigerator since ours stopped working on Thursday night but that won't be coming until Tuesday and wouldn't require that a space be made for it.  Look there, out on the street, taking up most of the bed of Judi Hook's truck. 


Looks a little 1960's science fiction movie ish to me or maybe like one of those Christmas ornaments folks used to make with pins, sequins, beads, etc.  Remember those?  The kits came from some craft catalogue. 

Here's the path to the back yard before the installation.  Sorry, I was way too busy during the installation to run inside and get the camera.  Did I mention that the rain was pouring down like we maybe should have considered building an ark?

Here it is after.  Loree tells me that the mud will wash away eventually.   Tom on the right and Judy on the left both stayed relatively dry while I, wearing no coat, became drenched.  Oh well it feels good to be inside,  drinking coffee and writing about it in dry clothes.   


It's certainly different from everything else in my garden. 


25 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks great! Love where you've placed it, too. It is LARGE! A true focal point. I bet it will be even better when the sun finally comes out and the light is reflected off of it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still getting used to it as it's so large and eye grabbing but it's fun to see it through my kitchen window. Still waiting for the sun to shine again so I can see what that does to it.

      Delete
  2. That´s a great acquisition!!! I like how it fits your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Crikey, love it and a great addition to your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too but having it in my garden will take some getting used to.

      Delete
  4. Congrats! It's a lot bigger than I thought. Maybe I was also remembering those Christmas ornaments, and thought it was the size of one. I absolutely love the colors on the one you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi made this one for me to resemble one that I admired in her garden.

      Delete
  5. Dear Mr. TOG ... Thank you for braving that rain to give us these pictures to admire!
    I love it .. and that touch of orange is a huge punch of colour in the garden .. not that the whole object is not a WOW factor .. but I am an orange fan (must be the Halloween thing ? LOL)
    Hey .. I appreciate your kind words about my state of affairs in the great WHITE North here ... this is one LONG winter that I am totally fed up on ... and the teflon memory ? too cute ... believe me my mind sticks up with the most ridiculous things at times .. so memories of garden issues is a mini miracle .. plus cheating by writing in garden log helps ? LOL
    Joy
    Enjoy that gorgeous garden art acquisition !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! The orange and amber ones that I saw in Judi's garden glowed even more than the other colors and made me fall for them. This gives a whole new twist to the winter interest thing.

      Delete
  6. As others have mentioned I bet when the sun hits it the whole thing will light up and send colors dancing around your garden. As for the mud I just keep making more around here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After discovering how easy it was to dig up that lovely but running bamboo when the soil is moist, I'm going to be doing a lot of digging/mud making this weekend!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love it! Isn't it wonderful to be digging again, soggy clothes and all?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! It's huge! did you assist with the glass work on this one?
    My dedication to gardening ends when it rains. I admire your tenacity.
    I remember you posted about Judi Hook and her art. Can you help me locate it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only glass parts are a few of the beads; the big spheres are recycled from the lucite grapes that so many people had in the 60's and 70's. Some of Judi's work can be seen at Alpine Nursery in Puyallup http://www.alpinegrows.com/ or you can contact Judi directly at 253 847 - 2937.

      Delete
  9. It looks awesome! Reminds me a little of the Chihuly glass sculptures I saw at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix last December.

    Can you send some of that rain our way? It's bone dry here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd be MORE than happy to send you all the rain you'd like!

      Delete
  10. It is to die for!

    Deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! And a great way to brighten up a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know you could freeze fireworks. Nice addition!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is going to be good advertising for Judy's work. I look forward to seeing it in future posts in all lights and seasons.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.