-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Flower World in Late November

This Saturday, we set out to visit several nurseries north of us that I'd never experienced at this time of year.  Our first stop was Flower World.  This place is about plants, of which they have a lot in their 15 acres of nursery, and there was no tinsel, no ornaments, just plants and plant products. 

Poinsettias were plentiful.

Norfolk Island Pines and Schlumbergera

An effective combination!


This one was new to me.  Check out the leaf shape and variegation.  

Cute hedgehog.

Table after table of cut evergreens.  As you can imagine, it smelled divine!

While I'm a fan of holiday sparkle, these simpler  wreaths were quite appealing!

Throwing in some beauty berries is delightful.

I'm still enjoying mine on the bush.  Cleverly placed nearby were potted specimens of some of the berries and evergreens used in the wreaths.


 These would work well as advent wreaths, just plop some candles in and voila... 

My favorite was this swag with both purple and red berries, variegated holly and yellow and blue greens.

Irresistible to me were these variegated Aspidistras.  They're labeled as house plants and they are great for that but they are also hardy outside here, evergreen, look great in pots, like to be root bound and will grow beneath timber bamboo where little else will.  And they're gorgeous!

 Tillandsia 'Creation' in glorious bloom.
 Cryptanthus

The largest Boston Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata)  I've seen.   

In the unheated greenhouses, Pineapple sage is still blooming much to the delight of the resident humming birds!

The hummers were also thrilled with table after table of fuchsias.

These face pots were nifty.  One hopped into my car.  I don't know how as they don't seem to have legs.  Strange thing.


To see more about this nursery, go to their website here. See many more extensive posts from my earlier visits here.  Happy new week!

21 comments:

  1. Love that facepot! I'll take one in blue. I like the swag too, with the purple and red berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The face pots are also available in blue. Might be worth a trip...

      Delete
  2. No tinsel? No ornaments? Actually that's kind of refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was refreshing! The folks here are plant people, have the farm animals and produce stand to tend to cider to press, and I recently learned that they also have a winery operation. Since they grow 90% of what they grown in their huge production area, I don't think they have much time for tinsel & baubles.

      Delete
  3. I was thinking of pruning the callicarpa in spring, encourage it to spread out a bit. Think I'll start early and put some sprigs in a wreath, it looks brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see the callicarpa berries used that way but thought it was a delightful idea!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful treat to see the hummers still around, supported by this large nursery. The variegated holly and bright berries are nature's sparkle. I'm going to use nandina berries on my wreath. Love the hedgehog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, nandina berries are gorgeous! The Anna's hummingbirds stay around our garden all winter as I try to always have some natural nectar sources for them and put out feeders if things are looking scarce or there is a freeze.

      Delete
  5. That poinsettia looks extra festive with its variegation. And that variegated aspidistra looks great and pristine, would have bought it myself if I was there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know that you like the variegated aspidistra. I'm not as fond of the spotted ones but love the plain green ones and those with striped variegation.

      Delete
  6. I could almost conjure up the scent from your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many huge evergreen trees out on the driveway and parking areas of the nursery that the olfactory treat stared even before we entered the place. Sometimes, I'm extremely grateful to live in the PNW!

      Delete
  7. I like your pot and great ideas for swags and wreaths. A variegated Aspidistra would be fun, I' m not keen on the ubitiquous poincettias though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently read that Cyclamen persicum was considered the Christmas flower long before the poinsettia. Oh well, people seem to enjoy the big splash of color in the winter.

      Delete
  8. I like the greenery wreaths with variegated holly and berries. So pretty and natural.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They have hummingbirds inside the greenhouse?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Make them keep the poinsettias under wraps until next week - it's too early. I like the wreaths with berries, never saw beautyberries used that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful nursery and so good to see that they were selling lots of plants and not all the extras. I see that you didn't resist temptation though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those christmas wreaths, and the pink poinsettia-very pretty. I wish we had some of these nurseries over here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.