-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Visiting Molbak's Part 1 - Can't Contain My Excitement

Molbak's, a nursery in Woodinville, WA, is one of those places that transforms itself into a wonderland of holiday decor, gifts, etc. each year at this time.  Saturday was their official opening although they had a special event the night before for their loyalty club members at which everything in the place was 20% off.  Friday night, rush hour traffic on 405 didn't sound like a great deal of fun to me so we waited until the weekend to check it out.  The carnival of Christmas that Molbak's becomes at this time of year will wait for a later post but today, we'll take in some of the fab container combinations from the outdoor area. 


Okay, all but one of these contains ornamental kale/cabbage.  There are lots of ideas here for this winter's pots if you haven't planted any up yet or for next fall and winter if you have.

Black, orange, silver, and white make a striking combination for this gloomy time of year. 


Perhaps Loree will host another ornamental kale and cabbage challenge next year.

Not in a pot but the purple veins of the orange-leafed Heucherella 'Sweet Tea' pick up the purple of the kale beautifully.  Black pot, black mondo grass, a little something golden and these two would be gorgeous.

A little bit of everything.  

Ornamental cabbage and kale are ubiquitous in winter plantings and some think they're too common and look more like something that belongs in a vegetable garden but some things are popular for a reason.  Are these not beautiful?  Like big flowers they are.

Oh that color!

Molbak's gets the prize for the widest variety, greatest number, and highest price on O.K. & C. of any of the nurseries I've visited this fall.  The plants were all pristine looking too.

Love this highly-textured variety and have one by my back door  where I can enjoy looking at it every day all fall and winter.

The selection goes on and on!



I wonder how difficult it would be to grow these from seed.  Have you tried it? 



Molbak's does a marvelous job of displaying plants for pot groupings.  Just grab a slice, pot it up, and you're set.




Speaking of common but pretty,  the fuzzy grey leaves of Dusty Miller are looking pretty swell to me these days.

Do you live in an area where you can keep pots outside for the winter?  If so, do you compose new pot combinations each season?  I'm mostly a one pot, one plant kind of guy but have been toying with some combinations this fall..

How lucky we are to have so many places nearby that display their plants in this way, providing inspiration for our own combinations.

Not a fan of purples?  How about this red, white, and silver number that will work for the holidays as well?

Halloween decor was 70% off.  Let's see... no skulls, bones, or body parts but this hat was fun. 


Reminded me a bit of this from the Portland Garden Bloggers' Fling:


Nah, it stayed at the nursery. 

Seems they'll put a tillandsia in just about anything these days.  Cute and the price was right but since the plants were hot-glued in, one would have to keep the jack-o-lanterns out all year.  But wait, what's that in the background?


Gothic tracery is scary?  I guess so because it's Halloween merchandise and therefore affordable.  I'm thinking that with some silicone adhesive and a bit of glass cutting, this could become a stained glass screen.  Fortunately, it just fit into the car and will go on my list of glass projects to do. 
You never know what treasures you'll find at Molbak's!

18 comments:

  1. Molback's is a must-see even from far away! The screen is a great find and not just for Halloween. Look forward to the holiday decor as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of OC&K! A bed full of that highly textured ones would be comfortable indeed I think -- looks so pillowy! I like the fact that you mentioned their prices were the highest you've seen. We need some price shaming to keep things in check. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom mention prices of plants but was a bit surprised by the price of these.

      Delete
  3. Oh My, that Gothic screen is going to look fab with glass in it! Thanks so much for the morning chuckle over the shot of Tom in the grass hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "widest variety, greatest number, and highest price"...sadly that sounds about right. OC&K next year...we'll just have to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could become an annual event. Festival Using Cabbage & Kale. Hmm... You could use the acronym to announce that it's **** time again or it's about ****ing time.

      Delete
    2. Haha- you just made me laugh, Peter!

      Delete
  5. I love Molbak's: it's an eye candy for gardeners. Sadly, I haven't been this year but there is still time. I'd love to see how the screen evolves. Do share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish that Molbak's were closer but then maybe not as I'd end up totally broke.

      Delete
  6. Oh, yes, the container designs there, and the color coordinated displays. Makes you want to buy it all. Until you look at the prices. We make an annual trek there every December, and they always get some of my money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do a wonderful job, don't they? It's hard not to leave a bit of money behind when visiting. Thank goodness for the sales!

      Delete
  7. I do change out the outdoor pots by my front door, usually 2x per year. It's about time to plan the cool season arrangement so thanks for filling my head with ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to share! So, you have a "cool season?" (I know, it's all relative.)

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to see what you'll do with that Gothic screen. It's going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspirational...and thanks for holding back on the Christmas part. I'm just not ready for that yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.