-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, March 6, 2017

In A Vase on Monday

Another busy week and cold blustery weather encouraged me to stay inside after getting home on Sunday instead of going out to gather contents for a vase today.  Fortunately, pal Alison encouraged me to take pictures of arrangements at the American Institute of Floral Design booth at the Seattle Flower and Garden Show.  These will act as my contribution to IAVOM this week.  It's nice to be a bit lazy now and then.  The AIFD is having a national symposium in Seattle this year in July.  To learn more about that event, visit their website.

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by the talented and creative (and never lazy) Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see what she's brought inside this week and to find links to posts by other participating bloggers.


Orange  seemed to be the in color at the show this year. 

Along with the color orange, edibles appeared in many arrangements perhaps because the theme of the show was "Taste of Spring."   Seems that one need look no further than the crisper drawer of the refrigerator or the fruit bowl on the counter for arrangement ingredients. 

Of course there are lots of stunning old still life paintings of flowers and fruits used together and even vegetables on occasion but the practice faded a bit except in the fictional Dibley where Mrs. Cropley utilized an exceptional variety of contents in her vases. (Image lifted from the interweb) Wait, is that cauliflower in her arrangement?

Image result for Mrs. Cropley floral arrangements


Oh Mrs. Cropley, you were a trend setter!  Are those golden beets?  

Can't decide if you want to send flowers or a fruit basket?  How about both? 

The mixture of exotic tropical blooms and foliage with root vegetables tickles me. 

The booth was buzzing with the activity of making to order and giving away corsages and talking about the AIFD so these weren't the best pictures but  it might be fun to try and fit some edibles into an arrangement sometime, probably not a fish though.  What do you think?

Many thanks, Cathy for hosting this fun meme each week!

13 comments:

  1. Haha - I missed this one... Love how they used plastic fencing as well as all those veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that orange and the enormous Heliconia sticking out of the top was hard to pass by. I'm thinking of growing carrots again this year in my edibles beds, but I don't think I'll be using them in any arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A spectacular and delicious arrangment.
    The trout made me chuckle. I'd stick with vegetarian options in my vases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost posted my photos from that booth today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd rather have broccoli and cauliflower in an arrangement than on my plate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really interesting to see, Peter, although it seems as if spring is very abundant in their neck of the woods! ps I don't think I would claim to NEVER being lazy, but admittedly I do post a vase every Monday, without fail ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like orange is still a very "in" color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some very intense arrangements. the colour pallet is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that' s different. I've never seen carrots used in a flower arrangement before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'd never thought of using a cauli in an arrangemnt. This is a whole new way of looking at things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were always told to NEVER get fruit, particularly apples, near cut flowers because they gave off ethylene gas, which causes flowers to pass by more quickly. I guess their inclusion in these arrangements are a way for florists to boost sales. ;)
    Like the outlandish outfits designers put on runway models, but never expect to catch on with the general public, these arrangements seem to follow that trend. Plastic fencing, really?
    Thanks, Peter, for showing us the best of what the trendy florists are offering these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those were fun arrangements, looking for the vegies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.