-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, March 31, 2017

Random Friday - It Could Be Worse


We in the Pacific Northwest have been complaining about the nearly nonstop rain a lot lately.  On the morning news today, the anchor said, "News Flash!  The sun may make an appearance today!"  while a co-anchor traced a circle with her fingers and said, "It looks something like this."   The sun did actually make an appearance and we had a high in the mid fifties, still lower than average for this time of year but it was nice to see the sun again, even if most people were squinting like moles emerging from their burrows.  My sister in Alaska is not sympathetic in the least as she woke up a couple of mornings ago to find a few fresh inches of snow on top of this which was still on the ground.


So, you see, it could be worse.

Much worse. You see, this shows that the snow had been melting.

Meanwhile, in my greenhouse, the clivia are beginning to bloom.


You may have a problem with tuberous begonias if  you already have this many stored from last year (there are actually more that aren't visible in the pictures)

and twelve more (in addition to the dozen or so that came home from Bark and Garden in February) arrived in the mail this week.  Well, occasionally one or two of the stored tubers don't come back so it's a good idea to have some extras on hand.   Funny but there doesn't seem to be any space left in the greenhouse to start these.

Happy weekend all and if you're in the area,  don't forget the Heronswood Open and plant sale on Saturday!  Can you believe that it's April already?

11 comments:

  1. Love tuberous begonias so I sympathize. Gorgeous windows; the sun coming through them must be quote a display.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have certainly bugged out on begonias! They are beautiful.
    As you see, we finally "discovered" Olympia Bark and Garden. We did buy some ranunculus bulbs. We'll try them in a pot. Never have been successful planting them in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm done complaining about the weather, for now. I'll probably start again when temperatures go above 75. Yesterday was beautiful here, but I mostly stayed inside. I'm starting a big planting push in the garden today. My, you do have a lot of tuberous begonias!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I thought to myself when I saw that stained glass is "ha, he's run out of space in the greenhouse"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday was lovely outside. I made some progress cutting back and pulling weeds. Hoping today will be similar. There's no sign of growth yet on the Begonia bulbs that I potted up. Am I just impatient or do they take a while?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly Alaskans aren't put off by some springtime snow, are they? And you certainly do have a problem, although it's one of the best ones to have: plant obsession. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the saying goes, "everything (including the weather) is relative." I still remember listening to a weather report in my hotel room on a business trip to Seattle (my first) and the forecaster predicted "sunbursts." For a moment I was utterly perplexed as to what that meant...Forgive me, I was born and raised in SoCal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My yard looks like your sister's! Yes, it could be worse.
    Your clivia is beautiful. A happy late winter event. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your clivia is beautiful and your begonias will be in the summer, what an amazing display they will give. Hope you have more sun today, it makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Clivia. Are your begonias just left in last years pots then watered slightly or have you put them in fresh post of soil. Not a huge fan of flowering begonias, I prefer the 'pretty' leaf type.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is going to be an amazing show of begonias!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.