-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Garden of Julie King and Paul Smith

Sometimes when approaching an open garden,  a single potted specimen can make an impression and pique one's interest.


Another potted agave, Allium schubertii seed head, Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens,' and a carpet of Acaena purpurea.

Though not a large garden, every inch of the King/Smith creation is filled with great plants surrounding delightful seating areas to enjoy the interesting collection.  Notice the Puya dyckioides just about to bloom in front of the large empty pot.





At every turn are treasures to be discovered. 



The garden effortlessly flows out beyond the sidewalk and into parking strips on both sides of the corner lot.  Amazing that the pots are unmolested out here.  Where I live, they'd be stolen in short order.




Looks a bit like Lathyrus aureus to me but I'm not sure.  



"Paul & I have influenced each other's plant choices for over 20 years, and now we are creating an exuberant garden together.  In 2015, Paul sold his house in Wallingford and we combined our gardens on my modest Seattle lot. Big shrubs were removed to make room for Paul's collection of unusual plants."

A watering can that pours without being tipped...magic!


In the area on the right behind the wicker chair, a bamboo had just been removed.  I wonder what will be planted in that space.  The garden will be open again on Saturday, September 9 so perhaps I'll go back and see!

I'll also ask if this tree fern stays out all winter. 




Potting bench with a view.

Even space for edibles. 






Itea ilicifolia growing up the chimney.


This year, Julie and Paul are working a new fence and other structures. 

And they use bowling balls throughout their garden.  Groovy plants and fun objects within a cohesive design; who could ask for anything more?
Thanks Julie and Paul for opening your garden for us all to enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Thank you, Peter! Not boring place, for sure! Many plants and art objects caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about that cohesive design. Don't know when I've seen so much in a small space (not counting your garden!) that flows so well. Great use of pots, Adiantum venustum and Jp. blood grass in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They incorporated very attractive sitting areas to the garden, in particular the love seat with the window above. So charming! The eryngium and poppies vignette is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great little garden, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great garden! That Itea illicifolia is fantastic. Nice use of big, empty pots as focal points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoying these garden tours, Peter. Always so many great ideas to glean from them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this garden so much! It's so full of pretty details and things to discover and the planting is varied and abundant. I love those tree ferns, some species are native to north Argentina but I never saw them here in the central-west area where I live, I wish I had at least one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They packed a lot in there! I can't get over the flowering Puya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I am curious about that Fern tree too. They seem so delicate. So much color in this garden. It looks loved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always nice to see a small garden well done . I definitely support moving stuff to make room for other stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great flow in a small space. I thought the sitting/potting area structure hiding the kitchen garden was neat. Loved the red poppies with the black eye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of concentrated gorgeous color. I like the pots also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been to this garden, but it was a few years ago, and it looks very different now, including the color of the house. Combining gardens/gardeners has given it a new look.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.