-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Into Every Life A Little Frost Must Fall

Areas nearby have been getting frost on the ground for several days but my neighborhood avoided it until Jack arrived early on Saturday morning to scatter a bit of  glitter around.

Fennel



Cotinus coggygria

Old Man winter will be joining his pal Jack soon. 

Tanacetum haradjanii

Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca'


The neighbor's Juniper.

Phytolacca americana

Heuchera something or other.

Berberis 'Orange Rocket'

Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'  I'm finally comfortable pronouncing this name which is usually a signal for the taxonomists to come up with something even more difficult to pronounce.

Some cotoneaster.
It can no longer be said that I don't know Jack. (Frost.)  

Just yesterday when I left for my brief drive to work the temperature in my garden was 33 degrees; just a few miles away, it was 25 degrees at work where the following pictures were taken.



  



18 comments:

  1. Lovely! It was in the high 20's here this morning, but none of that decorative stuff in my garden. Just as well as there's no way I'm heading out there to take photos. You're a braver soul than I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you got some beautiful pictures! We've had frost every morning here for probably a week and a half now. It was pretty at first, but I'm done with it now. It takes too long to burn off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We rarely get this kind of gorgeous hoar frost. The pokeweed berries are even prettier than the ones in your vase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one brave little rose!
    The "smoke" on the Cotinus looks so much better in spring, while the black mondo grass (much easier to pronounce) looks fabulous no matter what is happening outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack may not be welcome but he is a good decorator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about a silver lining! I wonder if anyone has experimented with taking the frozen fennel and filling some ice trays with it for umbellifer ice cubes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Jack is quite the artist, as are you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos, Peter. Frost highlights gorgeously!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice. I like it when winter settles in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh pretty, pretty pictures! Jack Frost is a handsome creature. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a shame that Jack creates something so pretty but that he is not usually welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I guess it's that time of year, even out your way! The photos are great, I think the frosted pine is my favorite but the pokeweed comes in a close second. There are some frozen pokeweed berries here as well, but I'm much too lazy when it comes to heading outside in a frost (or snow a it so happens today).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.